Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Hypersomnia and other Sleep Disorders topics.
Hypersomnia refers to either excessive sleepiness during the day or extended, overly long periods of nighttime sleep. This common sleep disorder affects nearly 5 percent of the US population with a focus on teenagers and young adults between the ages of 15 and 30 years old.
The reasons for hypersomnia can include: work changes, family demands (such as a new baby), study or social life. Other causes include sleep disorders, medication and medical and psychiatric illnesses. However, doctors agree that hypersomnia can be helped or cured with a few adjustments to lifestyle habits.
Some symptoms of hypersomnia may include:
- Feeling unusually tired all the time
- The need for daytime naps
- Feeling drowsy, despite sleeping and napping
- Difficulty thinking and making decisions: the mind feels "foggy"
- Memory or concentration difficulties
- An increased risk of accidents, especially motor vehicle accidents