Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Hypersomnia and other Sleep Disorders topics.
Hypersomnia is sometimes misdiagnosed as narcolepsy. In many ways the two are similar. One significant difference is that people with narcolepsy experience a sudden onset of sleepiness, while people with hypersomnia experience increasing sleepiness over time. Also, people with narcolepsy find daytime sleep refreshing, while people with hypersomnia do not.
If you think you might have hypersomnia, experts say you can help your condition by following these lifestyle adjustments:
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol and caffeinated drinks near bed time
- Relaxation to prevent night time anxiety
- Exercise regularly and maintain a normal weight for your height
- Eat a well-balanced diet to prevent nutritional deficiencies
- If possible, changes your environment to reduce disturbances
- Be comfortable; make sure you don't overheat or feel too cold in bed
Have a regular sleeping routine so that your body "knows" it is time to sleep
- Only go to bed when you feel sleepy
- Avoid daytime napping